Pages

Friday, July 4, 2014

Movie Review: Shag: The Movie (1989)

 


(Starring Phoebe Cates, Bridget Fonda, Annabeth Gish, Page Hannah, Tyrone Power Jr., Scott Coffey, and Robert Rusler)
 
 
Get ready to put on your dancing shoes and shag the night away. Shag: The Movie is a lighthearted coming-of-age story of four friends who escape to Myrtle Beach for one final adventure in the summer of 1963.

 
Carson McBride (Phoebe Cates) is an inexperienced, but sweet girl who is about to marry uptight Harley Ralston (Tyrone Power, Jr.), a tobacco executive's son. Her friends Melaina Buller (Bridget Fonda), a preacher's daughter who dreams of becoming Miss Sun Queen and moving to Hollywood; Caroline "Pudge" Carmichael (Annabeth Gish), who just wants to dance and find true love; and uptight Luanne Clatterbuck (Page Hannah), a wealthy senator's daughter; take Carson to Myrtle Beach to enjoy their last days together before the girl's move on to college and married life.
 
 
The girls catch the attention of two local boys, Buzz Ravenel (Robert Rusler) and Chip Guillyard (Scott Coffee). Buzz is a handsome boy who's come-ons annoy Carson. Chip is an aspiring marine and an awesome shagger. Little does the girls know that this weekend will be filled with romance, shagging, and decisions that may change their lives forever.
 


I think that this is a wonderful summer movie filled with a lot of 60's beach goodness. This movie makes me want to put on my Bermuda shorts, rock a bubble flip hairdo, and go shagging on the beach (wish I knew how!)
 
Favorite Quotes From Shag:
 
Luanne: If I'm not engaged by the time I'm twenty, I'm gonna kill myself.
 
Buzz: Well, don't play hard to get. You might miss something.
 
Carson: You want me to go all the way up there, to a Yankee school, just so I can come over every weekend and practice "free love" with you?
Buzz: Well, not every weekend.


Overall, I rate this movie 5/5!



No comments:

Post a Comment